The course will introduce quantum mechanics as applied to chemistry and would be structured such that B.Sc. students can follow, provided they have familiarity with differential equations.
- Introduction to Quantum Mechanics: wave particle duality, uncertainty principle, standing waves, stationary states, atomic orbitals, path integrals and random walks.
- Postulates of Quantum Mechanics.
- Particle in a box, particle in a box of finite depth.
- The free particle, and the derivation of the uncertainty principle.
- Particle encountering a barrier, tunnelling. Tunnelling in chemistry.
- Particle in a ring.
- The Harmonic Oscillator.
- Particle on a sphere.
- The Hydrogen Atom.
- The variation and perturbation method.
- Time depedent problems.
- Hydrogen Molecule ion, Born Oppenheimer approximation, LCAOMO method.